The best flower essences for kids heading back to school
Wondering which flower essences are best for helping to ease the transition for kids starting school for the first time, or heading back after the holidays? We’ve put this quick reference guide together to help. These suggestions have been tried and tested over many years by Tribe co-founder Scott Harris and his kids; we hope they’re as helpful for you as they have been for him and his family.
Flower essences for children who don’t cope well with change
If your child doesn’t cope well with change, they might benefit from a little support as they get into the routine of school. Try Go with the Flow™, which is on a mission to equip them with the adaptability to embrace new experiences with enthusiasm and openness.
Flower essences for children who are pessimistic or weighed down
For kids who find the whole idea of school heavy or who tend to become pessimistic or grumpy about it, we can't recommend Lighten Up, Buttercup™ highly enough. It’s available as flower essence drops for your child to take, and as a citrussy flower essence mist that’s been specially formulated to put a cheery smile on the face of kids and grown-ups alike. These products can be purchased individually, or are available together in the Lighten Up, Buttercup Kit.
Flower essences for kids who are frightened
For kids who tend to be fearful, Guiding Light™ is a great choice as it inspires comfort and reassurance. Scott's family finds that the boys become more courageous after using it for just a week or so. (TIP: This is also a lovely essence to turn to if your child is prone to waking up frightened in the middle of the night).
Flower essences to support kids’ confidence
If shyness or confidence issues are the reasons behind your child's school concerns, the best flower essences to consider are Up, Up & Away™ to support your little one's sense of self-approval, and Express Yourself™ to invite them to find the courage to put themselves out there socially and in the classroom. Both essences are available in drop form, and Up, Up & Away™ is also available as a flower essence mist.
Flower essences for kids who work themselves into a tizzy
All kids have meltdowns from time to time. When they do, the grounding, centring energy of Shock Absorber™ might be just what it takes to help them pull themselves back together. We also find this to be an awesome essence to keep on hand for those little mishaps that arise in every family from time to time.
Flower essences for children with separation problems
For children who are clingy or who tend to get fretful about being away from mum, dad or home, consider Up, Up & Away because it's benefits for self-confidence that we discussed above extend to helping to develop strong, healthy boundaries - a crucial component of learning to stand on your own two feet, without needing your parents by your side every moment of the day. Team it with Shock Absorber if your child tends to get really worked up when it's time for you to drop them off at school. (And by the way, this combo is just as beneficial for parents who are having trouble coping with being separated from their kids!).
How do I give flower essences to children?
Flower essences are suitable for kids of all ages. Those in late primary school and above can take the adult dose of seven drops under the tongue twice daily (or as often as needed), but smaller children may do just as well with a lower dose of three or four drops at a time.
If your child isn't keen on the flavour of the essences, try diluting them in water, juice or yoghurt to mask the taste.
Each seven-drop dose provides less than one drop of alcohol. If you’d prefer your child not to consume even that tiny quantity of alcohol, there are a few different options available to you:
- Drop your child’s dose of flower essence into a cup, and then pour an inch or two of boiling water onto it, and allow it to cool before your child drinks it; alcohol has a lower boiling point than water so a substantial portion of it will evaporate off before you child drinks it
- Apply the flower essences topically, for example by rubbing them into the back of your child's neck, the inside of the wrists or the tummy. (TIP: Scott’s boys love the tummy option!)
- Work with the flower essence mists rather than the drops. This method allows you to introduce the energy of the various flower essences to your child’s surroundings, without them needing to take any medicine at all, and is a routine that can easily be incorporated into your family's bath- or bedtime routine
Once you’ve determined which remedies are suitable for your child, be sure to check out our comprehensive range of flower essence kits, many of which team essences that are commonly used together and offer you substantial savings compared to buying the products individually.
For children’s needs, the most popular flower essence kits to consider include:
- The Lighten Up, Buttercup™ Kit, which combines Lighten Up, Buttercup™ flower essence and mist
- The Up, Up & Away™ Kit, which combines Up, Up & Away™ flower essence and mist
- The Quietly Confident™ gift pack, which contain Express Yourself™, Up, Up & Away™ and Guiding Light™, all as flower essence drops
- The Full Kit and Caboodle, which contains all 15 of our flower essences
If you'd like help deciding which is the most appropriate essence for you and your kids to use, please feel free to drop us a line and we'll be happy to help.